Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HD destruction

From: "Greg T. Grimes" <gtg4 () MSSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:51:44 -0500

This is a highly debated topic.  We have a pretty good Cyber Security and
Forensics group here on campus and they say that unless you want to pull
the drive apart and use an electron microscope, you're not getting back
data on a drive that has had "zeros written" to the drive.  And even then
it's iffy with today's drives.  I for one believe that.  I've seen them
take their forensics tools and try and recover a wiped drive.  It doesn't
work.  As long as your "wrize zeroes" to every sector of the hdd, you will
be fine.  A format or deleting of the partitions will not erase the drive.
Always remember to use a utility to wipe the drive, not format it.  I hope
this helps, and saves you money.