Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Encryption Software

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:09:08 -0800

We are looking at CompuSec from CE-Infosys. It seems to support all the
items on our checklist, installation is simple, and the only change for
the user is the login. It will require pre-boot login and give the user
the option to log in locally or connect to the domain when Windows
boots.

It didn't see where dual-boot is supported in the documentation. That is
a bit item for me, but not for the organization. The price is right, for
a small number of laptops and no centralized key management required.

After I run a couple live CDs against our victim machine to verify the
configuration, encryption and other items, I'll look into testing on a
dual-boot.

So far as our needs at the CIS, it looks promising. I'm skeptical on the
support for dual boot since the package does some voodoo on the boot
sector.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)