Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Finding and securing sensitive data

From: Gary Golomb <coach () GWU EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:41:27 -0500

Hi there all -

Most people here are already familiar with Safety Analyzer, the basic tool we developed for incident response and
sensitive data searching.
http://home.gwu.edu/~coach/safety.html
http://home.gwu.edu/~coach/SA.zip

We used the tool about a year and a half ago as part of a Risk Assessment project covering hundreds of servers and
desktops across campus (around 500 to 700 to date).

Since then, the lessons learned and what we used has been used in a partnership to develop a fully supported,
commercial, enterprise-class application for data security assessment. In one sentence, it is designed to answer the
question:

Where is my sensitive data, and is it secure?

This will probably be my last post to this list, as I am going to be devoting my time to helping develop and support
the enterprise version of the application.

In the meantime, I wanted to let everyone know about a free webinar being delivered Tuesday, January 23 at 1:30 EST.
(Info at the bottom of this email.) It will be covering the challenges we face in the Higher Ed space as opposed to
other corporations (and why so many product fail to perform properly in our environments), as well as a technical demo
of the product. We will also briefly discuss some of the very aggressive discounts being offered by the company
specifically to the .edu space, as this application was developed specifically for Higher Ed.

I hope to see you all there, and if you have any questions or want additional details in the meantime, please email
here or at gary () proventsure com.

Thanks all!

-Gary

------
Gary Golomb
Computer Forensics Engineer
ISS/Network Systems Security
http://home.gwu.edu/~coach

Educause Demo and Specials

Join us for a Webinar on January 23

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www.gotomeeting.com/register/789342431

This webinar will briefly overview the problems serving as the foundation of the engineering principals behind Asarium.
It will then go into a demo of the Asarium Data Risk Assessment and Validation Suite, highlighting its ease of use and
patent pending methodologies for finding sensitive data and  assessing the true objective risk individual and/or groups
of computers present to the overall organization.

Title: Educause Demo and Specials