Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authorizing password changes in a health science center

From: Steve Devoti <devoti () WISC EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:33:17 -0600

David,

At my former employer, a large financial institution, we handled it this
way.  We provided online password reset functionality via challenge
questions.  If someone could not answer the challenge question(s) we
required them to present their badge in person at the security
administration help desk.

This worked fine of course if the user happened to work at the home office.
If they worked at a remote location or were traveling  a responsible party,
usually a company officer, would send an email to security administration
who would then contact the individual via phone.  There are of course at
least a couple of ways this could go wrong, but we had plans to move to
digitally signed emails which would cover the biggest gap.

This process replaced the old give me the last 4 digits of your SSN way.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve Devoti

Senior IT Architect