Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spam return address backlash

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:14:56 -0600

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:43:57PM -0600 Roger Safian said:
Greetings,

In the last couple weeks we have seen several of our
addresses used as the from address in spam.  This
causes few serious problems, but does generate an
increase in the number of spam complaints to our
abuse aliases.

It does cause a serious issue if the chosen address
used by the spammer, also happens to be a real
address in use here at Northwestern.  We have
heard of people receiving hundreds of bounced messages
per day if this happens.  We recommend filters,
but there's little else we can do to stop this.

My questions are two.  Is this happening elsewhere,
and if so, have you recently noticed an increase
in this activity?

This is indeed happening here and we have seen an increase lately.
My personal email address has been used as have our various abuse
addresses.  The President of our Credit Union just sent a copy of one
that was bounced back to him as well so I would guess that it's also
happening to many other folks on campus although we haven't received a
large number of complaints.

-Conor

--
Conor McGrath                                           Phone: (773)702-7611
Manager for Network Security                            Fax: (773)834-8444