Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: passworded screen savers with timeouts, do you enforce?

From: RL Vaughn <Randy_Vaughn () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:13:19 -0600

Ah, the voice of reason!

How are you doing?

Parker, Ron wrote:
Some people may not care about "security" but they usually care about
themselves. Perhaps you could try this approach:

"Security incidents cost the college money, maybe a lot of money, in
legal and other bills plus staff time, etc. Security incidents also
reduce public confidence in the institution and may make students (or
parents of those students) choose another college. For state or taxpayer
funded institutions, this also makes it harder for legislators to want
to increase funding or for taxpayers to want to endure yet another
property tax increase. This reduces the amount of money available for
employee salaries, raises, etc. This may have a direct impact on you and
everyone else who works for the college. So, is it really so much
trouble to type your password again?"

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College