Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: passworded screen savers with timeouts, do you enforce?

From: "Waller, Michael A. (HSC)" <Michael-Waller () OUHSC EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:42:38 -0600

You'll probably never get complete buy-in. The key battle is to get buy-in from the top. Deans, department heads, etc.
will have to drive enforcement. Once the policy is signed off from on high, it can just become a regular part of the
standard desktop configuration. We've had this in place for some time now and we still get complaints. Sell leadership
on the idea, get their backing and then use them to help spread the word.

When it comes time for TEA, emphasize the idea that the logout/screensaver policies help protect the user from being
accused of wrongdoing should someone sit down at their computer and do anything harmful to the system (logs will point
back to the person who left the computer unlocked).

Good luck.

Mike Waller   CISSP
Information Technology, Information Security Services
The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail, including any attachments, contains information from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center,
which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and
destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.