Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Changing ISP?

From: Rob Whalen <rwhalen () STMARYS-CA EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:07:19 -0700

see response below...

John Kaftan wrote:

We recently had an extended outage on our MCI (VerizonBusiness) connection.
We were down for 2 days and customer support was very poor during this time.

Now we are faced with a decision as well as building redundancy into our
connection.  Here are my questions:

1.      Should we leave MCI and suffer the pain of changing ISPs and
receiving a new set of Public IPs?

2.      Can anyone else relate their recent experiences with MCI positive or
negative?

3.      Also, is it sufficient to use a single ISP for redundancy if they
give us separate local loops, via separate ILECs, into opposite ends of the
campus, to separate COs?

4.      Can anyone speak to setting up redundancy with separate ISPs and
BGP?

We have not talked about cost with any ISPs but I imagine it would be much
more affordable using a single ISP.

We are planning owning our next set of IP addresses.  I'm told there might
be a chance that we could keep our current set.  We'll see.

John Kaftan
Utica College

John,
We recently went with MCI's package of data and phone service. They
promised us the same level of service at a lower price, however buried
in the contract it states that modems (credit card lines) would not
work, and that faxes would be problematic. The modem issues were easily
dealt with by buying lines from ATT. The faxes were more difficult. Many
departments had published faxes and didn't want to change numbers. So
their choices are: get a POTS line, retry incoming and outgoing faxes
until all pages are sent(you can't send more than two pages at a time
and graphics intensive pages don't send at all), or use one of a new
block of numbers. Either way they are unhappy clients. We have also had
two all day outages in the two months we've used MCI. Their techs don't
seem to have a clue, after the last incident they couldn't even tell us
what they fixed, just that it was a problem on their network. Our phone
tech is ready to quit!
Setting up BGP between ISPs is a full time job. We've got a second DS3
for failover, and our old ISP still up, but with the route remarked out
for now in case we need to switch back.
Rob