Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Changing ISP?

From: Brian Friday <bfriday () LASIERRA EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:09:34 -0700

In terms of campus to provider.

Humorously I say "We lack a significant amount of bridges between
campus and the cable provider." More seriously, while their are a few
bridges I can think in our area only  one is remotely close to the
path between cable provider and campus. The central CO for ATT(SBC)
for our area is not in the same location or direction as the cable
provider. Of course this is no guarantee of a different physical
routing path but it does mean if paths cross or converge it does so
much farther up the stream.

In terms of provider level to level3.

As you mentioned previously One Wilshire is likely the biggest single
point of failure for services routing to and from the southern
california area. ATT seems to also have significant investments of
routing pathways in Ontario California and any major outage there
seems to effect everyone east of the 55 freeway. Level3 has told us
they don't go through the same conduit and