Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: CyberAngel

From: "Faloba,Jodi L" <jfaloba () UAKRON EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:12:20 -0400

We are looking at encryption software here at UA and we found that
CyberAngel did not meet our needs.  I personally did not do the testing,
but our PC Software technician did and here was his response:

The University of Akron evaluated CyberAngel five months ago and did not
find it provide significant protection for the cost.  It provides
file/folder level data encryption.  Meaning users can move or chose to
make a folder encrypted.  Nothing is automatic, The University of Akron
did not feel our users would understand well enough to protect all our
sensitive data.  CyberAngel also contains a system recovery piece so if
a laptop is stolen it can be reported to CyberAngel and they will
attempt to track it.  They are only able to track it if it is connected
to the internet or a phone line and the os is not reinstalled.
        The University of Akron is looking to implement a whole disk
encryption solution for our laptops so in the event they are stolen the
data is encrypted.  Laptops are cheap enough that recovery of the system
is not a propriety for us, protecting customer data is.

Nathan Sterrett
PC Software Technician
The University of Akron
(330)972-6393