Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Open access to student labs

From: "clementz.7" <clementz.7 () OSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:53:28 -0500

Here at the school of Architecture we also require authentication at the
workstation through our domain as well as an ID card swipe at the lab.

On public university computers there is no login, but when accessing the
internet they are required to authenticate.  So in the case of sending a
potential harmful use or email.  On both types of computers there are strict
Group and Local policies preventing users from doing anything harmful.

Whatever technical challenges there may be I think it is our responsibility
as administrators to provide the most secure access for the users as well as
covering our own hides.

The system we use for our doors is Lenel and the software we use to upload
it is BEST.  Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Todd Clementz
Systems Administrator
Knowlton School of Architecture
The Ohio State University