Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Open access to student labs

From: "Hull, Dave" <dphull () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:40:12 -0600

I've been in my current position for a few short months and haven't
learned everything yet and have been surprised by a few things. Firstly,
we have several computer labs. All are protected at their main entry
points by Omnilock(tm) keypad locks, but (here's the disappointing,
surprising part) the combinations have never been changed and all
students use the same combination, though different labs are keyed
differently.

Once in the labs, all users are required to login using an account in
our domain. We charge students for printing and enforce storage quotas.
All of our labs are also equipped with cameras and a recording device
that (another recently discovered surprise) hasn't actually been
recording anything since early October.

I'm hoping to address the Omnilock situation in the future; assigning
unique combinations to each student and changing them once a semester.
The trouble is, students will share their combinations and I don't see
any good way of preventing that. We will have the camera recorder up and
running again soon.

I can't imagine running a publicly accessible lab without requiring some
sort of authentication at the workstation, that's got to make it
extremely difficult to tie a security incident to an individual user.

--
Dave Hull, CISSP, CHFI
IT Director