Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Change Management [was:RE: Windows Patch Management]

From: "Anderson, Kelly" <kjanders () UMICH EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:49:08 -0500

Good Morning List,

We have a documented patch management plan for our services.  Since we do not manage workstations (except our own), we
manually apply patches after a risk assessment of each patch is done by yours truly.  All patches eventually get
applied, critical patches get applied within 24 hours or less, less critical patches sometimes wait until the next
maintenance/outage period for that server.  I'd be happy to share my plan - just send me a private message.

However, I'm wondering if any of you have a formal procedure/format you follow for change management.  I am looking for
an efficient way to approve and document changes.  We do not want to be bogged down with procedures and review
committees, we just need something quick and concise.  Right now we keep a calendar on our Exchange system to which we
add all change events.  That seems to work for the documentation part, but I'd like some more thoughts on the
approval/review process before the change happens.

Sorry that this question sounds a bit vague...I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Kelly Jo Anderson
University of Michigan
kjanders (at) umich (dot) edu