Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

New CIS Benchmark Projects

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:40:18 -0700

As many of you know, EDUCAUSE Institutional Members receive a 50 percent
discount on the fee they pay to become members of the Center for
Internet Security (CIS).  For more information, see:
http://www.educause.edu/TheCenterforInternetSecurityMembershipDiscount/2
634

From time to time, we also partner with CIS on the development of new
benchmarks.  Below is an announcement regarding some new CIS activities
that I wanted to pass along.  Please consider participating.

Thanks,

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Security Task Force

The Center for Internet Security(CIS) is beginning work on several new
benchmarks and would like to invite the members of the higher edducation
community to participate in our consensus process.

For those of you new to CIS, we are a not-for-profit, end-user group
that develops security guides, which we call benchmarks, by bringing
together teams of experts who discuss security recommendations made in a
draft.  These teams work via teleconference and email lists to reach
consensus on the best security recommendations for a particular
platform.  This process has proven very effective at creating detailed
and useful benchmarks, while providing excellent opportunities for all
involved to interact with their peers.

You can see a list of currently available benchmarks and learn more
about CIS from our web site at http://www.cisecurity.org.

The following benchmarks are currently under development:

Juniper Routers
Check Point Firewall
MySQL Database
SQL Server 2005 Database

If you or any of your colleagues are interested in participating or have
any questions, please contact John Banghart at 703-716-0199 or
jbanghart () cisecurity org.  The time commitment is a only a couple hours
a month.

Thank you.

--
John Banghart, CISSP