Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you handle students who attempt to exploit internal resources?

From: "John C. A. Bambenek" <bambenek () CONTROL CSL UIUC EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:42:11 -0600

My inclination:

Expel them and press charges.

Official Policy:

"Somewhat" less strict than above. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gillett [mailto:gillettdavid () fhda edu]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 4:38 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] How do you handle students who attempt to exploit
internal resources?

  My policy, through three employers now, has been to be pretty tolerant of
explorations *that are cleared in advance*, and to treat all others as
policy violations that get reported upstream for any decision on
disciplinary action.
  I worry that anything else risks making IT, or even the institution,
potentially liable for the results....

David Gillett