Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you handle students who attempt to exploit internal resources?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:32:33 -0500

Ben Spencer wrote:
Recently we had an adventurous student who decided that he would try
some common web based exploits against our intranet website (which is
available on the internet). He came to us and informed us what he found.
Through the conversation, it was revealed that this action was
intentional.
We had an interesting case of a network class being taught about nmap,
leading to several scans of several of our production servers.
Sometimes we must provide some steering for our faculty as well as our
students :-)

We have similar policies that others have mentioned, namely that our
primary action is to pull access for the student (port shutdown and/or
locking their account) and then refer the matter to the Dean of Student
Development.  Network access termination is a fairly universal response,
but few policies (including ours) carefully enumerate how access is
restored other than the Dean/Director/VC/VP "says it's OK".  The initial
action and response is clear, but what about the repeat offender?

Jeff