Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: future of cybersecurity in Higher Ed

From: Michael McLaughlin <MJMcLaughlin () CSMD EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:42:38 -0400

With so much emphasis on completing this years initiative,  the new tool,  program, or system,   we risk losing sight
of the basics.  While our institutions are emphasizing,  the latest and greatest,  this years new hot topic, we risk
de-emphasizing the tools, techniques and systems of two, three or four years ago. While I am not saying that systems
should not be updated, and new tools and concepts developed and implemented,  they need to be added to our existing
proven processes, rather than replacing them.  unfortunately,  adding services, and systems on top of the existing work
load means more staff and budget.

So, to answer your question,  the serious threat that I see in cybersecurity, is we are forgetting the basic
engineering that got us this far; training, DMZ's,  defense in depth,  security zones, segregation of applications and
data,  risk analysis, and proper planning.

Mike McLaughlin
Network Security Administrator
College of Southern Maryland
michael.mclaughlin () csmd edu

Bret R Blackman <bblackma () MAIL UNOMAHA EDU> 10/1/2006 11:18 PM >>>

All,

What do you see as strategic issues and serious threats in regards to cybersecurity for Higher Education over the next
2 years?

Bret R. Blackman
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Director of Administrative Information Services
Information Technology Services
bblackma () mail unomaha edu