Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: future of cybersecurity in Higher Ed

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:47:24 -0700

Bret Blackman asked:

#What do you see as strategic issues and serious threats in regards to
#cybersecurity for Higher Education over the next 2 years?

-Follow the money. There is a reason that phishing has evolved as the most rapidly growing threat - because people can
make money that way.

- User name and password management. We need better ways for people to create and remember strong user names and
passwords. I personally like Password Safe (free, open source - see Sourceforge.net)

-Institutions have become generally harder to attack but most PCs are still very easy to take over - this provides an
easy avenue to attack institutions through "trusted" users and machines. Sure, you know Joe so you let him connect to
your server from home but do you know what's running on his machine?

- Perimeter defenses, including layered while still a necessity are worth less every day. We need better end point
security