Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Operational vs project time

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:50:23 -0500

I think that there is a context question here.  We implemented several standards in the last couple of years that
describe incident response, and server and desktop security (as well as a few others).  One of the new features of
security standards is the emphasis on adding detective controls to complement preventive controls.  Previously, most of
the focus was on preventive controls.

Now we are asking "How do you know that things are fine?"  So we are at the beginning of the learning curve where the
number of incidents rise rapidly, and the severity starts to decline.  But this is skewing things heavily toward the
operational side.

I would estimate that we are about 60% operational and 40% projects.  If you consider the basic CIA of information
security, and the amount of time spent on operational availability, then the operational total is higher than that.

Jim