Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Non-Compliant Copyright Infringement Complaints

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 00:16:28 -0500

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 04:46:29PM -0700 Mary Shaffer said:
We have received a handful of RIAA complaints recently, none of which
include the infringement detail necessary to track down and address the
problem.  We have replied to each compliant asking for the necessary detail,
but without success.

Has anyone else had this problem? If yes, how did you resolve it? Do you
have contact information beyond the address used to send the complaints
(antipiracy2 () riaa com). I checked their website but couldn't find a phone
number or alternative email address. We want to do the right thing, but are
powerless to act without the infringement information.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

If the complaints do not contain the information needed to track down
and prove the violation they do not meet the standards of the DMCA and
thus get dropped in the bit bucket.  Every complaint we've received in
the last four years has included this information and we act upon each
complaint as received.

If I were to receive a complaint w/o that info (assuming our DMCA agent
would even pass that on) I would take no action.  The DMCA (by my reading)
does not require me to pursue non-compliant notices.

-Conor

--
Conor McGrath                                           Phone: (773)702-7611
Manager for Network Security                            Fax: (773)834-8444