Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy around IP Phones, Skype, etc.

From: "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:33:29 -0400

Connie,

I'm going to assume that you are talking about PC-based and not officially
deployed VoIP systems.

Generally speaking, we allow it here and don't worry too much about it
unless there would be resource issues.  Those are handled through our
general, content-neutral practices.  That said, what's the context you're
interested in?  Use for faculty and staff?  Personal use?  University
supported/provided for personal use?  Are you concerned for liability,
CALEA, bandwidth, etc?

Thanks
-chris

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.
University Information Technology Security Officer