Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory Domain Administrator Security

From: Steve Lovaas <steven.lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:02:27 -0600

OK, I'll take the plunge :)

At the risk of being the only one to admit this, we don't do nearly as
much in this realm as we'd like to do.

We have a bunch of domains in a forest - one domain for each of the
colleges, and some of the larger departments. Yeah, I know... that a lot
for an organization our size. Most of our admin account protection has
to do with written procedures and controls, rather than technical ones.
Microsoft hasn't made it easier by applying a single password policy to
an entire domain, either. But at least this way, if a DA account in one
domain gets hacked, it has no special privileges in any of the other
domains or in the forest.

Generally, our Windows admins are pretty good about the following rules:

- - Longer/more complex passwords than the rest of the herd.
- - Don't have the DA password be the same as any other one
- - Don't log on locally with a DA account; log on as yourself or local
admin and then do Run As...

We have a few projects pending to look at:
- - Two-factor authentication for DAs (as part of a larger deployment)
- - Limiting from where (what IP) a DA can interactively log in
- - Automated log analysis for DA logins (eventual SIM product?)

...chirp...chirp...

#ducks as the slings and arrows fly from the Unix guys

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State

Harry Flowers wrote:
Wow, I can hear the crickets chirp... The only responses I've received
so far are from others expressing interest in what I find out.  Have so
few colleges and universities addressed this yet?  I can't imagine that
most have totally been able to avoid basing a good deal of
infrastructure on Windows servers and Active Directory.  We're about
half and half here Windows to Unix/Linux servers, and I imagine most
institutions have a fair number of Windows servers.

I know, everyone is still putting their responses together to give a
really detailed view of what they're doing. ;-)