Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: POLICY ALERT: College and University CALEA Exemption Rests on Private Network Status

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:40:18 -0400

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:08:48 CDT, Alan Amesbury said:

I'm sure many/most of us have to service.  (Yes, I'll say it:  What of
NAT?  Does each Linksys WRT54G now need CALEA hooks?)

You're not the only one to say it.  You way wish to grab a baseball bat
or lead pipe or something, and smash that camel across the nose while its
nostrils are still outside the tent.

If you want to *really* worry, consider the proposed legislation that
would eliminate essentially *all* judicial review of wiretapping by
the Federal executive branch:

http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2006_07.php#004824

For the draft of the Specter bill:
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/NSA/specter_draftbill_071306.pdf