Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security of Research Data

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () CUSYS EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:21:56 -0600

We have not approved the Institutional categories yet, although our
Boulder campus has a set of terms.  One piece of advice I was given by
our legal folks (by example/requirement!) in my prior corporate life was
to create classifications like COMPANY INTERNAL DATA and COMPANY
STRICTLY PRIVATE data and then define the terms.  The more common terms
mean so many different things to so many people, that by defining a
unique term and putting it in the glossary, you reduce confusion.  We
then had very clear instructions on how to handle each (e.g. when to
lock up, when it was OK to have stuff on your desk, what could leave the
facility, what could not.)

In this way you get the opportunity to officially define the scope and
breadth of the terms in a specific fashion and pre-empt the excuses of
misunderstanding the generic term.

Perhaps this is the right answer for your institution.

Jim
Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP
IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit
jim.dillon () cusys edu