Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security of Research Data

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:21:00 -0600

Since Jim (my auditor) seems to follow me around these lists, I'll take
this chance to follow him.  :-)

One thing we're doing on our campus is having a discussion with the
Human Research Committee (they oversee human subject research) on how
human subject research data should fit into our data classification
definitions and policies.  I expect that most research campuses have
something similar to our HRC, at least for human subject work.  When it
comes to human subject research data, I think it makes sense to see
where it fits into existing policies for PII on your campus.

I'm also putting the topic of research espionage/theft in the campus IT
threat model I'm developing.  I have yet to dive into this topic much,
but I expect it to be of concern to researchers in highly competitive
fields and/or research in particular topics.

Of course, this is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the topic of
research data security, but I think those are the right places to start
(critical issue of research that might include personal information and
general threat modeling).  I'm sure we'll get into other aspects of
research security and I'm interested to see the responses from others.

Don't forget to check on the security requirements included in the
grant(s) or agreements with funding sources.  Some grants may have very
specific security requirements to satisfy.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder