Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Campus threat models

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:51:32 -0600

During the course of developing a risk assessment and management
practice on our campus, I have been working on a general, campus-level
threat model.  This is a broad, non-application specific threat model to
help people understand the overall threats to campus IT and the
associated risk.  I hope it could also serve as a template for
departments to expand upon for threats specific to their
services/processes.

I didn't see any Educause docs specific to threat modeling and the
Educause risk assessment framework actually doesn't mention general
threat modeling (it does discuss threat analysis as a step in the
process in assessing risk to critical assets).  A lot of reading on the
topic of threat modeling is about application development and there are
some free tools out there with this focus, but much of it didn't see
very applicable to more general threat modeling.

It seems that building a thought-out threat model removes guesswork and
supposition during discussions regarding security and can be a useful
guide in decision making.  Naturally, such documents need to be
regularly updated for changing services and threats.

How many of you have developed this kind of threat model for your
campus?  If you have developed one, is it publicly available or can you
send a copy?  (I'm not looking for sensitive details, just how you
documented general, common threats.)

Thanks,

Brad Judy

IT Security Office