Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: hard drive destruction

From: Les LaCroix <Les.LaCroix () CARLETON EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:15:21 -0500

We don't go to the vendor for warranty hard drive replacement.  We put
in a new hard drive and send the old one for destruction to the same
place that old drives go when we retire computers.  There's a cost
issue, and there's the question on whether or not the computer's
warranty is now invalid.  But it doesn't happen often enough that we
worry about it.

Les LaCroix
Associate Director of Network Services
Carleton College

Michael Fox wrote:
I am working on policy and procedures for hard drive wipe/destruction.
I have most of what I need for my procedures but I have hit one
sticking point. I would like to get some input as to how others have
handled this issue.

The issue: if a hard drive that is under warranty fails most
technicians will contact the vendor, get a replacement drive and send
the "bad" drive back to the vendor. If there is sensitive information
on that drive (worst case scenario always) the vendor now has access
to that data and/or worse yet they repair the drive and sell it to
someone else.

 What do you folks do with this kind of scenario?