Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop recovery software

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:16:37 -0400

CompuTrace (LoJackForLapTops(TM))

        A lot of colleges either provide or recommend CompuTrace from
Absolute Software
        ( http://www.absolute.com/ -- you'll see a # of blurbs with various
higher ed  logos on
        the website).  We recommend it on many of our web pages including
one where we
        offer a special code for 10% off  (I don't know if it will work for
you or yours -- you may
        want to contact the company to get your own 10% off discount code):

        http://www.yale.edu/securityawareness/lojackforlaptops.html

The story of zTrace --

        Once upon a time there was a company called zTrace (and there still
is www.ztrace.com).

        We recommended them to our students in 2003.  Around 2004 they
"went out of the computer
        tracing business" in the US, Canada, UK, Germany and Australia for
various reasons I won't
        go into here).  They are still putting our name on their and a link
to a public press release
        involving our University on their main website (even though we
cannot purchase computer
        tracing through them anymore).  If you click on a link and fill out
the form to indicate you are
        in one of these countries and are interested in computer tracing
software you are redirected
        to http://www.absolute.com/.

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
  University Information Security Officer