Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Classification

From: "Waller, Michael A. (HSC)" <Michael-Waller () OUHSC EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:51:43 -0500

We've adopted a policy with four levels of classification and we call
them simply 'Category A' through 'Category D'. 'A' data is of the
highest importance and 'D' data is essentially public data that has no
security implications. Throughout our policy docs, we define sensitive
data as any data classified as 'A' or 'B' - that data is subject to
additional security requirements. Any data protected by law or
regulation (HIPAA, GLB, FERPA, etc.) falls into 'Category A'
automatically. After that, we let the data owners classify their own
data and assess its importance, with the caveat that they have to
protect the data to the level of the assigned classification level. It's
a relatively new policy, however, and we're in the very early stages of
implementation.

Data Classification Policy:
http://www.ouhsc.edu/it/security/documents/Data_Classification_Policy.pd

Data Classification Standard:
http://www.ouhsc.edu/it/security/documents/Data_Classification_Standard.
pdf

Mike Waller   CISSP

Information Technology, Information Security Services

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center