Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Expiration

From: David Walker <David.Walker () UCOP EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:19:20 -0700

At the University of California, we dropped our policy requirement for
regular password changes a few years ago.  It is our belief that
requiring regular password changes can actually decrease security, as it
encourages people to write their passwords in insecure locations.  Also,
the password changes tend to be minimal, say, changing a sequence number
within the password.  It's our sense that enforcing password changes is
a mitigation for threats (accessible password files on timesharing
systems, passwords transmitted in the clear) that are no longer
prevalent.

Another thing to consider is how long a "wrong" person might have a
password before they lose it due to an enforced change by the "right"
person.  If the enforced period is 180 days, then the "wrong" person
will have a password, on average, for about three months.  I suspect
most of us would want that average exposure to be measured in minutes or
hours (seconds?  milliseconds?), rather than months, but none of us
would be willing to change our passwords more than once a day.

David Walker
Director, Advanced Technology
Information Resources and Communications
University of California, Office of the President
1111 Franklin Street, Room 7115
Oakland, CA 94607-5200
(510) 987-0500
(510) 451-4340 (FAX)