Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: host based firewall for windows 2003 server?

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:28:35 -0700

What outgoing/incoming ports do other institutions block and why?

  There are now so many "applications" engineered to bypass port filters
(and/or tunnel over ports opened for other purposes) that this is really
no longer an adequate basis for security.  I think we have to start getting
serious about proxies and deep inspection to verify that traffic really
complies with policy, and not just with port number use.

David Gillett
CISSP CCSE CCNP