Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Article: "21st century university campuses: a haven for hackers and data thieves?"

From: Daniel R Jones <Dan.Jones () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:46:29 -0600

Another factor that does not get addressed is the actuall number of
impacted individuals.  Interestingly if you use the list from
Privacyrights.org
(http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/ChronDataBreaches.htm) the percentage
for education is higher (34% plus another 6% for university hospitals)
than the Choicepoint numbers.

Commercial                      23%      41
Education                       34%      61
Federal                 4%       7
Financial                       14%      26
Health Care                     7%       12
Non Profit                      3%       5
State and Local         10%      19
Education & Health Care  6%      10
Total                                   181

However, when you look at the actual numbers financial is must higher
followed by government.

Commercial                      4%       3793580
Education                       2%       2084345
Federal                 29%      27171550
Financial                       52%      47972173
Health Care                     1%       865100
Non Profit                      2%       1398000
State and Local         10%      9457947
Education & Health Care  0%      180901
Total                                    92923596

I would also argue that Higher Ed has been much better at reporting than
other segments (okay I'm biased here).  A large question which can't
really be answered is the number of potential exposures (e.g., a lost
laptop) vs known exposures (e.g., dishonest employees or credit card
fraud).

Regards,

Dan

Information Technology Services