Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 3rd Party Spam Services & Data Confidentiality

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:59:40 -0500

I concur with the sensitive data concerns expressed in other
posts.

Having raised those concerns however, if we assume they've been
addressed, I personally don't have any issues with an off-campus
spam filtering service.  It sure lightens the load on your campus
mail server.

By the way I believe systems exist which can monitor outgoing
emails automatically and block any that contain sensitive
information.  I think big financial companies use them, though
I've never heard of a University doing so (although monitoring
for them with products like snort and commercial IDS sniffers
is probably common enough).  But in today's hot-button politically
sensitive climate, outright blocking might be an option.

Similarly you can monitor/block outgoing ftp sessions.  Things like
credit cards and SSNs are easiest to detect.

Graham