Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sensitive Data Self-assessments

From: "Waller, Michael A. (HSC)" <Michael-Waller () OUHSC EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:32:39 -0500

We're working on a lot of policies that address some of those issues.
Some of our policies are not ready to be placed in public areas yet, but
we do have some policies that have received enough approval that they
are posted to our public website: http://www.ouhsc.edu/it/policy/.
Ultimately, we are developing a risk assessment program that will rely
heavily on self-assessment processes, but not all of these are ready for
sharing at this point.

With regard to the VA incident, the most important policies we're
developing are not yet ready for the public website. In a nutshell,
though, we're writing policy to 'strongly encourage' users to store data
on network resources rather than their PC (we have VPN available for
connectivity). We are also working on policy to define the hoops users
must jump through if they will be transporting data on a regular basis.
In the next few weeks, we'll also be developing a telework policy. All
of these policies will be applicable to data classified as 'sensitive'
(our Data Classification policy is available at the above link).
Sensitive data, by definition, includes all data protected by HIPAA,
FERPA, GLBA, among other types of data.

Mike Waller   CISSP

Information Technology, Information Security Services

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center