Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Camera recommendations

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:04:45 -0400

Before we decided to evaluate NetBotz, we decided we needed a policy approved by legal.

The policy is at:

http://www2.oakland.edu/audit/POLCY674.HTM

When we started this, I got a story from someone who said they put a surveillance camera in the computer room without
notice.  Purpose:  catch vandelism, theft, that sort of thing.  Evidently caught a couple staff members on a tape,
after hours, and well, you can guess.  Must have been pretty cold!  But then it was an issue - what to do about it?
Is there a policy against, hmmm, intimacy in the computer room?  Who would enforce it?  Would you notify Human
Resources?  What if the video started being "shown around"?

We decided we wanted a policy.
Theresa