Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Domain Name Database and Bulldog Firewall

From: Alan Amesbury <amesbury () OITSEC UMN EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:08:26 -0500

Mark Wilson wrote:

This is interesting and a bit concerning...
http://tanaya.net/dns/

It looks like it's DNS data and, from the very small sample I've
examined, not entirely accurate data at that.  My guess is that it
hasn't been updated in a while.

The interesting part is the fact that some RFC1918 address space
(specifically 172.16.63.x) is included, suggesting that someone's
RFC1918 address traffic is leaking to where it shouldn't be.  Guess
those egress filters aren't working quite as expected.  :-)

Anyway, since this appears to be information pretty much anyone could
compile over time, not to mention the fact that it's DNS lookups, what
about it is cause for concern?

--
Alan Amesbury
University of Minnesota