Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Syslog parsing

From: Keith Schoenefeld <schoenk () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:58:53 -0500

The folks at yorku.edu mentioned logsurfer+ at the resent Educause SP06
conference.  After discussing it more extensively with them
post-conference, I plan on giving it a serious look.  I believe the
proper link to the program they were using is:

-- KS

Penn, Blake wrote:

We are in the process of engineering more robust and centralized logging to
central syslog servers.  Problem is, once you have gigs and gigs of data,
how do you parse it effectively and efficiently?

We've looked at a lot of the common open-source parsers out there and
haven't been too impressed.  Anyone know of a good syslog (or syslog-ng)
parser (free or commercial), or developed one in-house?

The features that we care most about are:

*       Robust slicing of information across different categories (machine
name, IP, event ID, etc.)
*       Correlation capabilities
*       Easy of use (preferably a web GUI, etc. for use by the lowest common
denominator)
*       Low FTE requirements!!!

Thanks in advance.

Blake Penn, CISSP