Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network management jack to port software inventory

From: Tristan RHODES <TristanRhodes () WEBER EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:09:07 -0600

Christian,

I would love to see an application that mapped physical information (room, jack, department, etc) to switchports.  I
don't know of anything that does this, but if you create it I would be interested in testing and using it.  In fact, my
management was just asking about how we can manage this physical information.

There are open source applications that can gather all your network information.  The best one I have found is called
NeDi (Network Discovery Suite).  NeDi is an opensource application that discovers the devices on your network, and then
gathers all sorts of information from these devices.  The most useful is the IP->MAC->Switch->Switchport mapping that
makes it VERY easy to find what port someone is on.  You will be amazed at how much information you will have about
your network.  Nedi is easy to install and has a very nice GUI.

You can learn more about NeDi at the website.
http://nedi.sourceforge.net/

Anyway, it would be neat to be able to integrate your project with NeDi.  It would be great if I typed in an IP
address, and I could get all this information:

IP->MAC->Switch->Switchport->Data-jack-->Room-->Building-->Department-->Contact Information

Tristan Rhodes
Weber State University

Christian.Heroux () ETSMTL CA 04/13/06 11:57 AM >>>
Hello!

            Before developing any application, I would like to know how universities manage their jack to network port
inventories.

EX: IP switch; port switch; jack number; jack room number; department/services; device connected; special config

We would like to migrate from XLS sheet to a database. We didn't find any commercial application so we are thinking
about developing one.

Let me know if you use any open source or commercial application that you would recommend.

Thanks

 "Network design is 50 percent technology, 50 percent diplomacy, 50 percent magic"

Christian Héroux M.Ing, Ing jr.

Analyste de l'informatique

(Sécurité informatique & Télécom)

Section de l'infrastructure informatique et des télécommunications

École de Technologie Supérieure
1100 rue Notre-Dame ouest
Montréal, Québec
H3C 1K3