Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PS: FirstClass installations an exploit target?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:54:09 -0400

We've taken the policy that we will NEVER send email with any anonymous
signature like that. Real messages from the "Oberlin.edu team" go out over a
live human's signature instead, and we tell our users that all the time. Of
course it's a PITA for that person to accept all the replies and phone calls,
but it gives the managers something to do ;-)

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his
head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head, and his heart is an
artist." -- St. Francis of Assisi.

Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
We can tell when a new variant has popped up that we don't have filters for,
because we get stuff signed 'The vt.edu admin team' that we didn't send. ;)