Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Last 4 digits of SSN and birthdate

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:54:13 -0500

Am I guessing correctly that the advancement database uses SSN as the
key to the records?  That sounds like a big risk right there -
everyone who works in advancement then has access to this
information!  Although it's probably not what this person wants to
hear, I would reply with "You had better not print any part of the
SSN on anything external, otherwise your prospects will guess that
advancement staff has free access to SSNs, and this will likely cause
an outrage among the prospects, and you certainly don't want to upset
prospects.  It would be far better to convert the keys to some other
number unrelated to SSN, then you can print that number all you want,
no one will complain, and the staff will be able to do quick searches."