Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing security scanning (internal and external)

From: John Kemp <kemp () NETWORK-SERVICES UOREGON EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:12:31 -0700

On Friday 07 October 2005 01:00, Greg Francis wrote:
We are currently considering whether or not to outsource penetration
testing from off-campus such that testing will be done frequently
(monthly?) versus a periodic audit which we have already outsourced in the
past. We're also considering outsourcing the same functionality except on
the inside of the firewall.

At present, we do some scanning with NMAP and Nessus but there are
concerns from management that our efforts are inadequate and our
reliability is low. We are making improvements but I question how much we
should focus into that area if it's going to be outsourced anyway. Our CIO
thinks that outsourcing both tasks may be more cost effective and appease
management more.

Are there any schools out there that have outsourced either external
scanning? If so, how frequently is the scanning done? Do you have a vendor
that you recommend and what is their general cost?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

I tend to think of the QUALYS service as basically this
sort of thing.  Probably cheaper and more useful than a
consultant, for my 2 cents.  Consultants have
no stake in your enterprise, and have no upper bound
on what they'll charge you.

Since the QUALYS model is based on the number of IP addresses
that they scan, it can get ugly in terms of pricing if you number
of targets is high.  So... we're not a customer.  But if you fit their
model, I thought their architecture and r&d was quite solid.

--

John G. Kemp ( kemp () network-services uoregon edu )
http://security.uoregon.edu/ mailto:security () uoregon edu