Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Browsers and OS's

From: Harrold Ahole <madman () MYEASTSIDE COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:26:37 -0700

I've never had any such problem with Firefox.  My update from 1.0.6 to
1.0.7 worked that way just fine under Windows.  It was the first time
I'd see the icon appear automatically.  I've manually done updates for
extensions and those seemed to work fine.

It is important to restart Firefox after the update to make sure you are
running the new version.  I've found it to be a good browser, though it
has had trouble with missing buttons on Amazon and no doubt other
IE-centric web sites.

Harry

Jeni Li wrote:

My experience with Firefox update notification has been pretty spotty too. It tells me updates are available when I've already
applied the updates; it tries to download theme/plug-in updates and fails; it tosses up messages that an end user might find
confusing. I prefer Firefox hands-down for every situation except those few obnoxious IE-only sites -- two words, AdBlock and RIP --
but if keeping it updated on non-technical end users' systems is the goal, not so much. Unless maybe you're in an
environment where you can push out software updates using GPO or something.