Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Browsers and OS's

From: Justin Sipher <jsipher () SKIDMORE EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:45:12 -0400

Thanks all (so far).  I agree that there are two sides to the
equation regarding the potential vulnerability of having the OS and
the Browser tied closely together.  On one side is "it's better"
because it can ease updating and user notification.  On the other
side is "it's worse" because with ties to the OS come additional ways
for holes in the browser to allow for more catastrophic holes into
the OS.

The suggestion of being able to use web server's ability to assess
browser type and version is a good one and one that we actually
discusses earlier today.  Is anyone actually doing this?  If I come
to any/all of the college web pages/apps and do so with an out of
date browser it takes the request and redirects the return page to an
applicable page with info/links/directions on getting up to date?
Seems like a neat idea, but again curious if anyone has actually done
this (obviously for computer that fall in the institutions IP space).

...Justin
  Justin Sipher
  Chief Technology Officer
  Skidmore College