Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Removing Files From Google cache

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:24:19 -0400

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:02:18 EDT, William Custer said:
Does anyone have advice on the best approach for removing files from Google
cache or in dealing with Google to do so.

Ahh... Do I detect the presence of somebody who either just Googlehacked themselves,
or discovered that somebody else had beaten them to it? ;)

If so, don't sweat it - use Google to figure out who Eric Schmidt is, and why
he's mad at CNet. I've not decided yet if this is a case of "Happens to the best
of us" or "couldn't have happened to a more deserving person".  Maybe both.....

Does anyone have experience or advice on how to do approach this.

Keep in mind that even once Google burps their caches, there still the potential
for *other* search engines to have indexed/cached the information.

Zymurgy's Law of Evolving Thermodynamics:  Once you open a can of worms, the only
way to get them back in is to use a larger can.....