Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment - IT roles?

From: Chad McDonald <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:01:24 -0400

We are in the development phase of that policy.  We have no microphones,
apparently there is some notification requirement if you capture voice.  Our
legal depart has not had any problem current guidelines for camera use.  We
have NO cameras that are publicly available and don't intend to.  We have
escaped that thus far by stating that the intent of the cameras is for
security and that the strain placed upon our network by making them viewable
to the public would adversely impact the ability of our P.S. officer to
review footage as necessary not to mention the impact on our students'
ability to access network resources.  We have an acceptable use policy that
precludes anyone from attaching any server or server device to our network
without registering it with our NOC.

Chad McDonald, CISSP

Chief Information Security Officer

Georgia College & State University