Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment - IT roles?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:08:40 -0400

Hi, Chris,
Our situation may be unique, but I suspect most are. Our office of Safety and
Security is located in a converted single-family house, so space and wiring are
concerns. Hence the division revealed below. CIT has complete ownership of our
cameras covering our lab equipment, more general gear is described here:

Faigle, Chris wrote:

Hi. May I please also ask what roles IT vs. Campus Police has in terms of:

-         Ultimate ownership of the project

It's all theirs.

-         Design of architecture

We do that more or less as their consultants.

-         Installation of cameras and wiring

We and our electrical shop coordinate that.

-         Supporting servers and associated network

Networking remains our responsibility. The server and monitoring gear is located
in our CIT machine room, where there is A/C and UPS to suit.

-         Video archiving

What tapes are maintained are handled by our operators, as it's very like the
backup tape rotation they're already doing.

-         The actual monitoring of the video

Safety and Security. If they need to consult the archive, they come over here
and hang out for a while ;-)

Hope this is helpful.
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
   Say Yes Twice for Oberlin Schools!   www.oberlinyesyes.com

  "In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be
afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them." --Thich Nhat Hanh.