Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment

From: Chris Bennett <bennetc () LCC EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:24:06 -0400

We work a lot with HP and they have a partner for video surveillance
called DIVR Systems (www.divrsystems.com). We started a project last
year and put cameras at each entry/exit point for all of our buildings
on three campuses. We used a blade server with attached storage array
and all camera traffic goes over our data network to that server. We
send about 100 Mbps into the camera server and it is doing well. Because
of the existing cameras that we had and the higher cost for the IP
cameras, most of our system uses the analog cameras and the Edge Camera
Server, which encodes the camera traffic onto the IP network. The system
has capabilities for all sorts of triggering and timing events, but our
Police department wanted just continuous record for all cameras. We will
be adding more IP cameras this year as the price is getting better.

Chris Bennett, GSNA, GSEC
Dir. of Information Security
Lansing Community College

Rose, Ryan wrote:

All,

We are in the process of developing a campus standard for video
surveillance equipment. We are moving forward with a localized DVR
design and I was hoping to get some feedback on the types of equipment
other Universities are utilizing. Cameras, DVR’s, IP based systems,
etc. Thank you in advance for your responses.

*University** of Northern Colorado*
*Ryan Rose*
/Director of Core Services - Information Technology/
Ryan.Rose () UNCO EDU <mailto:Ryan.Rose () UNCO EDU>
Carter Hall Room 14
Greeley CO. 80639
<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=Carter+Hall+Room+14&csz=Greeley+CO.+80639&country=us>
tel: 970-351-1421