Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment

From: "Chase, Douglas" <CHASEDJ () BUFFALOSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:45:44 -0400

We couldn't be happier with our Philips Divars.  It's coax from the
cameras to the DVR, but all the video is accessible over the network.
They have the histogram functionality available to scan rapidly for
missing or moved objects, etc.

We're using color Bosch fixed dome cameras.  It's a huge improvement
over our old VCR-based B+W system!

The only failures we've experienced have been in cases of force majeur
(flooding etc.) - otherwise 100% uptime for almost 2 years.  They store
about 30 days of video but can store more or less depending on
configuration.

If you have more questions I'd be happy to respond.

Doug Chase
IT Coordinator
Residence Life
Buffalo State College