Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Clean Access & Impulse Point...

From: John Stauffacher <stauffacher () CHAPMAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:24:54 -0700

George, et all:

I have to disagree with the "over priced" statement. The functionality
and piece of mind given (esp. during weeks like this when students are
moving in to dorms), are priceless. Perfigo was a POA to get installed
the first time -- I'll admit it, it doesnt play nice with alot of things
(i.e. non cisco gear), but it will work. Atif has gone far beyond what
he should and he and his team have developed some great tools and
documentation to help you get over the 'learning' curve AND provide
communication to the students. I never really liked perfigo -- even
though we purchased it, and implemented it -- the support from perfigo
seeemed like they were scurrying to patch and fix and didnt have a clear
roadmap. Cisco has provided this roadmap AND given time to foster the
development of some great features. Some things I would like to see in CCA:

1. Customized client look and feel that can be "branded". I don't like
the idea of advertising to students that we are using a "cisco" (or any
other vendor per say) application. They tend to target that and try to
find ways around it -- a few even caught on to the UserAgent trick and I
have gotten a few emails about it.

2. OOB with non cisco switches. Probably my biggest complaint was the
use of proprietary SNMP / (CDP??) commands to do OOB. I really wish
Cisco had used a more standard approach. Their requirement to either
forklift upgrade or upgrade the IOS (which in some cases is a forklift
upgrade as well), is quite unfeasible for MANY instittutions out there.
Colleges and Universities are not money pits, we just can "buy buy
buy"...most of what we (if i am speaking for people -- I apologize )
have is not heterogenious and Id rather see cisco be the bigger person
and cast a wide net and get their products into campuses rather than
exploit their Microsoftian rule over the industry.

3. Lack of an official/unofficial support forum. Perfigo had its boards
which is where univeristies could post up their own
hacks/patches/scans/rules etc. It was helpfull, intuitive and had (still
does) a lot of GOOD information. Alot of the info was not found in the
docs, nor could easily be explained over the phone to someone not well
versed in the inner workings of Perfigo. I believe we need this -- the
cisco provided board is not the forum for it, as the interface is
unintuitive and is filled with CSA and all the other "security" stuff.
Maybe it will just take Perfigo/CCA campuses to organize amongst
themselves and create a board to post and help eachother on. I'd really
be interested in other schools using it -- Ive asked the question to
cisco -- only to get very hush hush answers, and the feeling they tend
not to disclose.

4. Macintosh (Linux/BSD?) client. Was promised by Sept. last year. Never
came. Promised again this year, will it come? What is the story behind
this illusive piece of software? Are people beta testing it? Can
institutions test it? I'm sure you'd get a laundry list of people ready
to sign up.

With that being said -- we have been working inband for over 2 years
now. At first it was rough and rocky and we had alot of issues (55%
technical, 45% communication, 10% user error [yes i know thats 110%]).
Subsequently we changed our topology a bit -- upgraded some hardware (we
are still using extreme and 3com -- but due to a unique configuration
and lack of appropriate capital we had to make do with what we had).
Currently with the Freshman/Transfer movein week winding down our
student related work orders are tapering off and almost every freshman
with a computer in the dorms now is patched, has antivirus and is up to
date. Something I couldnt say with certainly last year, nor the years
before.

In my mind, money well spent. But there are others, Juniper makes a
great product as well -- and a few other companys. In some sense
anything can be a whole lot better than nothing.

Just my 2 cents...

--
John Stauffacher, CISSP
Network Administrator

George wrote:

Atif, Your product is over priced for the market especially since it
is proprietary, and not well supported in the past.

George