Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Distributed Vulnerability Scanning

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:15:52 -0400

Connie-

Could you provide some more detail on what you are looking for in terms
of making Nessus easier in a distributed environment?

I'm far from an expert in Nessus, but my staff uses it frequently to
scan particular campus hosts, subnets, or our entire class B (on
occasion). Based on my limited experience with Nessus it uses a
client-server model where the parameters of the scan are set up on the
client and the Nessus server(s) perform the actual attacks...er, "tests" :-)

The server requires the client to log in with a username/password, so
the access to use a particular Nessus server can be controlled that way.
I'm not sure if you can limit the scope of the scan based on the client
login (for example "smithj" in the CompSci dept can only submit scans
targeted at the CompSci subnets), but I agree that would be a nice
feature in a distributed environment.

In the end though, anybody on your network with enough smarts can set up
their own Nessus client/server and start scanning away, so being able to
delegate who can/can't scan your network (from the inside) is in some
sense a moot point.

Regards,

Jeff

Sadler, Connie wrote:

Does anyone use a commercial scanner – something like Tenable? The
software would allow us to set up accounts and delegate rights for some
of our system administrators to run their own scans. The management
console would allow us to review results from all of the scans. Does
anyone use a commercial appliance and if not, does anyone have a
home-grown Nessus interface that makes using Nessus in a distributed
environment easier?